January 1, 2010

December The Thirty-First

MOST gracious God, who hast been infinitely merciful to us, not only in the year past, but through all the years of our life, be pleased to accept our most unfeigned thanks for Thine innumerable blessings to us; graciously pardoning the manifold sins and infirmities of our life past, and bountifully bestowing upon us all those graces and virtues which may render us acceptable to Thee. And, every year which Thou shalt be pleased to add to our lives, add also, we humbly implore Thee, more strength to our faith, more ardor to our love, and a greater perfection to our obedience; and grant that, in a humble sincerity and constant perseverance, we may serve Thee most faithfully the remainder of our lives, for Jesus Christ's sake - Amen.

-- CHARLES HOW (1661-1745) Photo of a "hungry New Yorker," by Alfred Eisenstaedt, from Life magazine archives

1 comment:

  1. "For the poor will never cease to be in the land; therefore I command you, saying, 'You shall freely open your hand to your brother, to your needy and poor in your land.'"

    My Dear Pal, I have always felt this need to freely open my hand to the needy and poor in my land, felt it so keenly, even as a little girl. My parents went through the Great Depression as children and youths, and I grew up not only in its long reaching shadow but went to school with children who were poor and hungry.
    I have never forgotten that and I wonder about some of those long ago schoolmates even now.
    One can only hope things turned out well... and that even though there may have been physical hunger in the home, that there was no hunger in the souls of its residents.

    Take care.
    Candace in Athens.

    ReplyDelete