December 30, 2009

December The Thirtieth

HEAVENLY and eternal Father, Source of all being, from whom I spring, unto whom I shall return, -- Thine I shall ever be. Thou wilt call me unto Thyself when my hour comes. Blessed shall I then be if I can say, "I have fought a good fight." I fear not death, O Father of life; for death is not eternal sleep; it is the transition to a new life, a moment of glorious transformation, an ascension towards Thee.
How could that be an evil that cometh from Thy hand, when Thou art the All-good! Lord of life and death, I am in Thy hand; do unto me as Thou deemest fit; for what Thou dost is well done.
When Thou didst call me from nothing into life, Thou didst will my happiness; when Thou callest me away from life, will my happiness be less Thy care?
No, no, Thou art love, and whosoever dwells in love dwells in Thee, O Lord, and Thou in him - Amen.

-- HEINRICH ZSCHOEKKE (1771-1848)
John Barnett, a Dust Bowl farmer, and his family in Oklahoma in 1942. Photo by Alfred Eisenstaedt from Life magazine archives.

No comments:

Post a Comment