December 1, 2009

December The First

THOU, O Lord, who commandest me to ask, grant that I may receive; Thou hast put me upon seeking, let me be happy in finding; Thou hast bidden me knock, I pray Thee open unto me.
Be graciously pleased to direct and govern all my thoughts and actions, that, for the future, I may serve Thee, and entirely devote myself to obeying Thee. Accept me, I beseech Thee, and draw me to Thyself, that I may henceforth be Thine by obedience and love, who am already all Thine own as Thy creature; even Thine, O Lord, who livest and reignest for ever and ever - Amen.

-- ST. AUGUSTINE (354-430)
Photo by Paul Schutzer, 1957, Life magazine archives

1 comment:

  1. A simple prayer bookending what appears to be a complex situation with this photo. How little we know of life -- our own as well as others' sometimes, and yet how sure we are of it.
    Thanks for sharing these with us. They are so appreciated.
    Candace

    ReplyDelete