December 29, 2009

December The Twenty-Ninth

AH, GOD! behold my grief and care. Fain would I serve Thee with a glad and cheerful countenance, but I cannot do it. However much I fight and struggle against my sadness, I am too weak for this sore conflict. Help me in my weakness, O Thou mighty God! and give me Thy Holy Spirit to refresh and comfort me in my sorrow. Amid all my fears and griefs I yet know that I am Thine in life and death, and that nothing can really part me from Thee; neighter things present, nor things to come, neither trial, nor fear, nor pain. And therefore, O Lord, I will still trust in Thy grave. Thou wilt not send me away unheard. Sooner or later Thou wilt lift this burden from my heart, and put a new song in my lips; and I will praise Thy goodness, and thank and serve Thee here and for evermore - Amen.

-- S. SCHERETZ (1584-1639)

No comments:

Post a Comment