January 12, 2010

January Twelfth

GOD,
Keep me kind today!
I do not ask
For wise or witty words
Or clever schemes
Wherewith to win my way.
I only ask
That You will help me be
Kind, for this day.

Give me a tender heart
To meet my brother's need --
Revive my memories
Of each old mistake --
Help me recall
The galling sting and ache
Of my own blunders --
And make me patient
With each clumsy deed --
For love's dear sake --
Oh, Father --
Hear me and help me . . .
As I pray --
Give me the grace to be
Just kind, today.

I lack the wisdom, God,
To understand
The hate that spreads
Its foulness on the land --
My brain is darkened
And I cannot see
The greed that shadows
Earth and sky and sea --
I only know enough
To kneel and pray --
Help me be friendly,
Father, for one day.
Out of Your greatness
Show me, God, the way
To share Your kindness
Just for one short day.
Amen.

-- by Elsie Robinson, 1941, King Features

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful! And the poignant little photo, a reminder of the "kindness" we should bestow on ALL. What is that saying, A society will be judged by how it has treated its animals?

    ReplyDelete