January 26, 2010

January Twenty-Sixth

MONTAIGNE had a hunch about dying, based on his own close call in a riding accident. He was so badly injured as to be believed dead by his companions, and was carried home with lamentations, "all bloody, stained all over with the blood I had thrown up." He remembers the entire episode, despite having been "dead, for two full hours," with wonderment:

It seemed to me that my life was hanging only by the tip of my lips. I closed my eyes in order, it seemed to me, to help push it out, and took pleasure in growing languid and letting myself go. It was an idea that was only floating on the surface of my soul, as delicate and feeble as all the rest, but in truth not only free from distress but mingled with that sweet feeling that people have who have let themselves slide into sleep. I believe that this is the same state in which people find themselves whom we see fainting in the agony of death, and I maintain that we pity them without cause . . . . In order to get used to the idea of death, I find there is nothing like coming close to it.

-- FROM "THE MEDUSA and the SNAIL" by LEWIS THOMAS
photo of Montmartre Cemetery from Life magazine archives, 1946

No comments:

Post a Comment