October 30, 2009

October The Thirtieth

O LORD GOD, Father of mercies, the Fountain of comfort and blessing, of life and peace, of plenty and pardon, who fillest heaven with Thy glory, and earth with Thy goodness; I give Thee the most earnest, and most humble returns of my glad and thankful heart, for Thou hast refreshed me with Thy comforts, and enlarged me with Thy blessing; for, besides the blessings of all mankind, the blessings of nature and the blessings of grace, the support of every minute, and the comforts of every day, Thou hast poured out an excellent expression of Thy loving-kindness upon me.
Thou, Lord, hast made me glad through Thy works; I will rejoice in giving praise for the operations of Thy hands. Blessed be the Lord which only doeth wondrous and gracious things; and blessed be the Name of His Majesty for ever; and all the earth shall be filled with His Majesty - Amen.

-- JEREMY TAYLOR (1613-1667) The Second Engineer smoking a cigarette while standing on deck getting a breath of fresh air. Location, United Kingdom. Taken in 1940 by photographer William Vandivert. Life magazine images.

No comments:

Post a Comment