October 14, 2009

October The Fourteenth

O MERCIFUL Father, to whose house of many mansions Thy child shall one day approach alone, by lying down to sleep, let Thy renewing hands be upon me, and Thy loving eyes behold me as I go to sleep this night. Thou who givest Thy beloved sleep, grant that I may rest at peace with Thee, and with all Thy creatures. Renew my body, and cleanse my heart and soul by Thy creative power, and grant that the morning light may make me rejoice alike in rendering new service to Thee, and in being one day nearer to the vision of Thy face; for His sake who died for us and rose again, Jesus Christ our Lord - Amen.

-- KEMPER BOCOCK
Comedian Ed Wynn, as King Bubbles, asleep with a candle in his ear. August 1944 photograph by Nina Leen. Life magazine archives.

No comments:

Post a Comment