October 8, 2009

October The Fifth

O ETERNAL God, who hast created me to do the work of God after the manner of men, and to serve Thee in this generation, and according to my capacities; give me Thy grace that I may be a prudent spender of my time, so as I may best prevent or resist all temptation, and be profitable to the Christian commonwealth; and, by discharging all my duty, may glorify Thy name. Take from me all slothfulness, and give me a diligent and an active spirit, and wisdom to choose my employment; that I may do works proportionable to my person, and to the dignity of a Christian, and may fill up all the spaces of my time with actions of religion and charity; improving my talent entrusted to me by Thee, my Lord, that I may enter into the joy of the Lord, to partake of Thy eternal felicities, even for Thy mercy's sake - Amen.

-- JEREMY TAYLOR (1613-1667)
Blond model in long dress with bandana motif standing near workman. Taken in 1938 by photographer Alfred Eisenstaedt. Life magazine image.

No comments:

Post a Comment