July 16, 2009

July The Sixteenth

THE Lord be my keeper, the Lord be my Defence upon my right hand. The Lord preserve me from all evil, yes, the Lord keep my soul. The Lord preserve my going out, and my coming in, from this time forth for evermore.
O Lord! Thou knowest, Thou are able, Thou art willing, to do good to my soul; I neither know how, nor am able, nor, as I ought, willing to do it.
Do Thou, O Lord, I beseech Thee, in Thine unspeakable loving kindness, so order and dispose of me as Thou knowest to be best pleasing to Thee, and most expedient for me.
Thine are goodness, grace, love, kindness, O Thou Lover of men! gentleness, tenderness, forbearance, long-suffering, manifold mercies, great mercies, abundant tender compassions. Glory be to Thee, O Lord - Amen.

-- LANCELOT ANDREWES (1555-1626)

No comments:

Post a Comment