July 15, 2009

July The Fifteenth

FOR Peter, who's not 40 any more:

Lines On The Poet's Turning Forty

I.
And so, at last, I am turning forty,
In just a couple of days.
The big four-oh.
Yes, that is soon to be my age.
(And not fifty-eight. No way. That Wikipedia is a bunch of liars.)
Nope, no any other age, just forty.
What other age could someone born in 1969 (and not 1951)
Possibly be?
(And please do not listen to my ex-wife, that sad, bitter woman in her late fifties.)
What does it feel like, old bones?
Yes, I have lost a step or two in the hundred-metre dash.
I accept these changes.
But if a guy says in a published poem that he is forty,
As I am doing here,
It's obvious that must be the age that he is,
Officially.

II.
Cattail down blows from the swamp like smoke,
Ice bares its teeth on the surface of the mud puddles.
It is fall -- but not for me in any metaphorical sense,
Because forty, while not technically all that young, is hardly like "the autumn of life" or anything;
And also because Natalie Portman, the famous actress,
Is in love with me. And why not?
After all, there is not that much difference, age-wise,
Between a person who I guess is in her mid-to-late twenties
And a person who is only just turning forty,
I.e, me.

(There's more, by Ian Frazier, but I'll have to stop for now. See the whole poem in the May 18, 2009, New Yorker magazine) This may not qualify as a prayer, but it's a meditation! Photo from Life magazine of Pablo Casals, cellist, in Puerto Rico in 1966, celebrating his birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment