September 10, 2009

September The Tenth

THOU, O my God, art ever new, though Thou art the most ancient. Thou alone art the food for eternity. I am to live for ever; not for a time -- and I have no power over my being; I must live on, with intellect and consciousness for ever, in spite of myself.
Without Thee eternity would be another name for eternal misery. In Thee alone have I that which can stay me up for ever; Thou alone art the food of my soul. Thou alone art inexhaustible, and ever offerest to me something new to know, something new to love. And so on for eternity I shall ever be a little child beginning to be taught the rudiments of Thy infinite Divine nature.
For Thou art Thyself the seat and centre of all good, and the only substance in this universe of shadows, and the heaven in which blessed spirits live and rejoice - Amen.

-- JOHN HENRY NEWMAN
Nature in New York, 1961, photo by Andreas Feininger, Life magazine archive

No comments:

Post a Comment