August 20, 2009

August The Twentieth

ALLOW me to cultivate the trait of understanding
And step in another's shoes
And comprehend their feelings of fear and loss and loneliness.

Allow me to be a friend and a listener
Who values the bravery of a person who would tell me their
Fears, hopes and dreams.

Allow me to understand why someone
Speaks more sharply than necessary
And asks for some things that are not possible.

Allow me to use my powers of reasoning
To ask the right questions
And give truthful, yet reassuring, answers.

Allow me to polish my skills
And use them for a richer, fuller life.

-- by the blog author
Teacher Sally Elizabeth "Miss Lizzie" Richardson talking with her teacher who is 75 years old. Location, Sheldon, Ill. Taken in February 1947 by photographer Bernard Hoffman. From Life magazine archives.

No comments:

Post a Comment