August 9, 2009

August The Eighth

BLESSED art Thou, O Lord our God, the God of our fathers, who turnest the shadow of death into the morning; who hast lightened mine eyes, that I sleep not in death. O lord, blot out as a night-mist mine iniquities. Scatter my sins as a morning cloud. Grant that I may become a child of the light, and of the day. Vouchsafe to keep me this day without sin. Uphold me when I am falling, and life me up when I am down. Preserve this day from any evil of mine, and me from the evils of the day. Let this day add some knowledge, or good deed, to yesterday. Oh, let me hear Thy loving-kindness in the morning, for in Thee is my trust. Teach me to do the thing that pleaseth Thee, for Thou art my God. Let Thy loving Spirit lead me forth into the land of righteousness - Amen.

-- LANCELOT ANDREWES (1555-1626)

Battle Of The Bulge: Mist and fog-shrouded countryside of the northern Ardennes Forest; conditions which helped German troops and hampered aid to Allied soldiers during the Battle of the Bulge, the last major German offensive of WWII.
In Ardennes, Belgium; taken Dec. 20, 1944, by photographer George Silk.

No comments:

Post a Comment