May 23, 2009

May The Twenty-Third

O THOU, full of compassion, I commit and commend myself unto Thee, in whom I am, and live, and know. Be Thou the Goal of my pilgrimage and my Rest by the way. Let my soul take refuge from the crowding turmoil of worldly thoughts beneath the shadow of Thy wings; let my heart, this sea of restless waves, find peace in Thee, O God. Thou bounteous Giver of all good gifts, give to him who is weary refreshing food; gather our distracted thoughts and powers into harmony again; and set the prisoner free. See, he stands at Thy door and knocks; be it opened to him, that he may enter with a free step, and be quickened by Thee. For Thou art the Well-spring of Life, the Light of eternal Brightnss, wherein the just live who love Thee. Be it unto me according to Thy word - Amen.

-- ST. AUGUSTINE (354-430)
Statue of Saint Augustine at Escorial Monastery, Spain. Photographed by Dmitri Kessel in August 1949.

No comments:

Post a Comment