May 17, 2009

May The Seventeenth

LATE have I loved Thee, O Thou Eternal Truth and Goodness: late have I sought Thee, my Father! But Thou didst seek me, and, when Thou shinedst forth upon me, then I knew Thee and learnt to love Thee. I thank Thee, O my Light, that Thou didst thus shine upon me; that Thou didst teach my soul what Thou wouldst be to me, and dist incline Thy face in pity unto me. Thou, Lord, hast become my Hope, my Comfort, my Strength, my All!
In Thee doth my soul rejoice. The darkness vanished from before mine eyes, and I beheld Thee, the sun of Righteousness. When I loved darkness, I knew Thee not, but wandered on from night to night. But Thou didst lead me out of that blindness; Thou didst take me by the hand and call me to Thee, and now I can thank Thee, and Thy mighty voice which hath penetrated to my inmost heart - Amen.

- ST. AUGUSTINE (354-430)

No comments:

Post a Comment