June 7, 2011

June The Seventh

THE SANITY PRAYER

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray my sanity that I keep.
For if some peace I do not find,
I'm pretty sure I'll lose my mind.
I pray I find a little quiet,
far away from the daily family riot.
May I lie back--not to have to think
about what they're stuffing down the sink,
or who they're with, or where they're at,
or what they'll eat or doing with the cat.
I pray for time all to myself (did I just hear
something fall off the shelf?),
To cuddle in my nice soft bed (oh no, another
goldfish is dead!).
Some silent moments for goodness sakes (did I
just hear a window break?),
And that I need not to cook or clean--well heck,
I've got the right to dream.
Yes, now I lay me down to sleep, I pray my
wits about me keep, but as I look around I
know--I must have lost them long ago!
- AUTHOR UNKNOWN

No comments:

Post a Comment